Technical F2F Meeting, 4/26/06
Technical Meeting, Wednesday, 4/26/06
Attending: Jon Phipps, Ryan Laundry, Damon Gravning
The goals of this technical meeting are two-fold: (1) so that each of the participants can become familiar with the functionality and implementation of the technologies each has developed (ASAS & ASN (Damon), MMS (Jon), Plone/Seamark & ASN URI Resolver (Ryan)); and (2) to look to issues of interoperability among these applications. It is our intention that these applications: (1) interoperate, and (2) not duplicate functionality unnecessarily.
1. We see the Metadata Management System (MMS) as the set of functions that handle metadata for the Gateway environment.
- Manages external metadata feeds (aggregation) into the GEM environment (e.g., Consortium member feeds & other OAI feeds);
- Manages metadata transformations and augmentation;
- Manages metadata export to both the Plone/Seamark environment and the ASAS; and
- Manages internal metadata feeds of augmented metadata generated within the Plone/Seamark and ASAS environments.
2. We see the GEM Gateway for 21st Century Skills as serving its traditionl portal functions with the addition of annotations by various member classes (Gemologists, GEM Members etc.) as well as personalization systems.
- Manages GEM membership functions
- Manages workflow and internal data management for all GEM authoring services (annotations, content development)
- Uses the MMS as base metadata repository: (1) ingests GEM RDF metadata instances from the MMS repository; and (2)outputs augmented GEM metadata instances (e.g., associated annotations) to the MMS reporsitory
3. We see the ASAS as the point-of-presence of GEM in the K-12 environment.
- Uses the MMS as base metadata repository: (1)ingests GEM RDF metadata instances from the MMS repository; and (2) outputs augmented GEM metadata instances (e.g., associated annotations) to the MMS reporsitory
Presenters should feel free to distribute links and documentation prior to the meeting.
1. Presentation: Ryan Laundry
- Technical overview of current GEM processes for ingesting and maintaining data
- Review of Siderean capabilities and processes
- GEM Annotation system
2. Presentation: Damon Gravning
- Technical overview of current ASN processes for ingesting and maintaining data
- ASAS and an overview of tools used with schools
3. Presentation: Jon Phipps
- Metadata Management System requirements and functionality
- Augmented Metadata requirements (with 'mudball' schema example--Note: discuss 'mudball'-to-reified RDF in Gateway)