Difference between revisions of "June 11, 2007"

From Metadata-Registry
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(5 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
===Agenda & Notes, June 11, 2007===
 
===Agenda & Notes, June 11, 2007===
  
1. Wiki upgrade (Jon).  We should discuss what we want to do with the new capabilities (if anything)
+
1. Wiki upgrade (Jon).  We should discuss what we want to do with the new capabilities (if anything). Look [http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Help:Annotation here] for some stuff about what could be done.
  
2. Diane has used up some of her 15 minutes of fame: http://talk.talis.com/archives/2007/06/diane_hillmann.html
+
Jon explained that we were now on the most current version of MediaWiki with the Semantic MediaWiki plugin enabled. We should feel free to play with this (refer to the link above for instructions) and embed some metadata in the pages, for instance.
  
3. Getting some momentum on the DC-Ed AP--I've put the text so far on Google docsI'm particularly concerned about getting a model in there (not being much of a modeler myself)
+
2. Registry upgrades (See Jon's [http://metadataregistry.org/blog/2007/06/09/registry-update/ blog post] on the upgradesQuestions?
  
4. Terms effort--what can we do to get that going? Does the registry have a role?
+
We noted that the fixing of the bug ("too aggressive") did not allow the completion of the NSDL GEM Topics vocabulary. Diane has finished that, subsequently.  Jon mentioned that he has another upgrade ready to go that allows status information to show up for properties as well as concepts. This will be necessary to allow for the kind of change management that we'd envisioned. He is also making it easier to support multiple languages--it will be possible to have multiple prefLabels in different languages and with different statuses. All prefLabels will then be status and language specific.
  
5. Other?
+
3. Diane has used up some of her 15 minutes of fame: http://talk.talis.com/archives/2007/06/diane_hillmann.html
 +
 
 +
4. Getting some momentum on the DC-Ed AP--I've put the text so far on Google docs.  I'm particularly concerned about getting a model in there (not being much of a modeler myself)
 +
 
 +
Stuart pointed out that mostly what we're talking about in "models" is a regular entity/relationship model. Because we're doing a modular thing, which is all about the resource. With the standard correlation object we might be adding a bit of complexity. The other bit of complexity is the "who" issue.  So our model includes a resource entity, an agent entity and a correlation entity, also subject/genre.  So far those have been handled as simple properties, Stuart thinks. We should check with the ePrints and see what they did. When you're talking about another URI it's really another entity.
 +
 
 +
5. Terms effort--what can we do to get that going? Does the registry have a role? Can a re-imagined role provide a basis to make a proposal for the INTEROP money?
 +
 
 +
We discussed the possibility of doing two proposals, one for the TERMS workshops and another for the Registry to support the RDA/DCMI work.  Stuart will try and get a call set up before ALA, and Diane will get some ducks in a row to discuss a proposal with the RDA folks at ALA.
 +
 
 +
6. Other?

Latest revision as of 09:04, 13 June 2007

Agenda & Notes, June 11, 2007

1. Wiki upgrade (Jon). We should discuss what we want to do with the new capabilities (if anything). Look here for some stuff about what could be done.

Jon explained that we were now on the most current version of MediaWiki with the Semantic MediaWiki plugin enabled. We should feel free to play with this (refer to the link above for instructions) and embed some metadata in the pages, for instance.

2. Registry upgrades (See Jon's blog post on the upgrades. Questions?

We noted that the fixing of the bug ("too aggressive") did not allow the completion of the NSDL GEM Topics vocabulary. Diane has finished that, subsequently. Jon mentioned that he has another upgrade ready to go that allows status information to show up for properties as well as concepts. This will be necessary to allow for the kind of change management that we'd envisioned. He is also making it easier to support multiple languages--it will be possible to have multiple prefLabels in different languages and with different statuses. All prefLabels will then be status and language specific.

3. Diane has used up some of her 15 minutes of fame: http://talk.talis.com/archives/2007/06/diane_hillmann.html

4. Getting some momentum on the DC-Ed AP--I've put the text so far on Google docs. I'm particularly concerned about getting a model in there (not being much of a modeler myself)

Stuart pointed out that mostly what we're talking about in "models" is a regular entity/relationship model. Because we're doing a modular thing, which is all about the resource. With the standard correlation object we might be adding a bit of complexity. The other bit of complexity is the "who" issue. So our model includes a resource entity, an agent entity and a correlation entity, also subject/genre. So far those have been handled as simple properties, Stuart thinks. We should check with the ePrints and see what they did. When you're talking about another URI it's really another entity.

5. Terms effort--what can we do to get that going? Does the registry have a role? Can a re-imagined role provide a basis to make a proposal for the INTEROP money?

We discussed the possibility of doing two proposals, one for the TERMS workshops and another for the Registry to support the RDA/DCMI work. Stuart will try and get a call set up before ALA, and Diane will get some ducks in a row to discuss a proposal with the RDA folks at ALA.

6. Other?