Thesaurus Construction Resources
Revision as of 13:31, 24 September 2010 by Diane
Vocabulary and Thesaurus Construction resources:
- About Thesauri This short piece, by thesaurus authority Jessica Milstead, gives organizations reasons and basic methods for starting out on thesaurus building.
- Introductory Tutorial on Thesaurus Construction Author Tim Craven, of the Faculty of Information and Media Studies, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario states that: "The purpose of this module is to teach you the basics of constructing an information retrieval thesaurus." It does a very good job with the basics.
- Thesaurus Principles and Practice Also fairly basic, but with some nice graphics, this was based on a tutorial from Willpower Information.
- Guidelines for the Construction, Format and Management of Monolingual Thesauri This is the NISO standard document on thesaurus construction, now under revision, but still valid.
- Publications on thesaurus construction and use This bibliography, provided by Willpower Information, is an excellent compendium of available resources, both digital and physical.
- Automated and manual approaches to the provision of thesauri and subject vocabularies This report by Rosemary Russell and Michael Day of UKOLN as part of the HILT: High Level Thesaurus Project gives a good overview of the issues of searching and browsing using controlled vocabularies.
- Thesauri A-Z A useful alphabetic list of available thesauri.
- Creating and Managing Controlled Vocabularies for Use in Metadata Powerpoint tutorial presented at the 2004 Dublin Core Conference by Stuart Sutton and Joseph Tennis.